Boys’ eye vessels ruptured as ‘surgically assisted’ surgery performed on boy
A Queensland boy’s eyes were ruptured by a highly-specialised surgical procedure in an emergency room at Mount Druitt Hospital last night, leaving him with “severe swelling and drainage of the cornea and vitreous”, as well as “surgical trauma”.
Key points:The boy, aged 11, was taken to Mount Druich Hospital in Brisbane on Thursday for emergency surgeryThe boy had a “surgical emergency” and needed immediate surgeryThe operation was performed by a specialist, a child-care specialistThe boy’s family were not notified of the procedure until this morningMr Jardine, of Mount Druitch Hospital, said the boy had “severe swollen and drainage” of the vitreos and cornea, and the operation was “specially done for a very special child”.
“This is the second time we have had this type of trauma with this type in the last four weeks,” he said.
“It’s just one of those things that when you have to do it, you just have to.”
The boy was taken in for surgery on Thursday night.
Mr Jartine said it was “absolutely horrific” for the family to learn the operation had been done, and that the boy was “very, very lucky” that it was.
“He’s been in a hospital for a couple of days, he’s been under pressure and there’s been a lot of pressure on him,” he explained.
“This time he was actually given a little bit of time to recover, and he was able to get back into the car and drive off to his home.”
The family have been advised to contact a GP for advice about whether to undergo surgery, or to seek out a “specialised specialist” in the area.
Mr Gaudreau said the operation, which was performed using “slightly more sophisticated” surgical techniques, was “an incredibly difficult operation”.
“He had some drainage of blood, but we don’t know how much, or if there’s any more damage,” he told News24.
“We’re obviously hoping he’s able to be discharged from the hospital and back into his home, so that’s really exciting for him.”
He said the family had not been notified of any plans to seek further treatment.
Mr Haggart, the chief executive of the Queensland Department of Health, said it appeared the boy’s injury was not life-threatening.
“What we’ve been told is that he’s in a very, very stable condition and is doing very well, and is in a stable area,” he added.
Topics:health,surgiopath-and-trauma,children,medical-research,health,medical—prescription,surgery,health-policy,healthcare-facilities,childrens-health,aboriginal-and—aborigine,perth-6000More stories from Queensland